Cost: -15, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10, 15
Appearance is a gauge of the physical attractiveness to others of the same race (and possibly others). It comes in 7 versions listed below. Each version provides a bonus to the social reaction other people have to the character. Most people are simply 'average' which costs 0 points and provides no effective bonus.
For positive reaction modifiers: People of the opposite gender who are heterosexual and people who are the same gender and homosexual will react at the full bonus. Those of the same gender and heterosexual and those of the opposite gender and homosexual react at one point less.
Negative reaction modifiers always provide the listed effect.
- Androgynous: The characters overall appearance gives no indication if your male or female and so the bonus applies equally well regardless of sexuality or gender. This effect costs an extra point per 5 points spent in positive levels and cannot apply to negative appearance levels.
- Charismatic: Regardless of the characters appearance level you have a certain appeal that goes beyond physical appearance. You gain +1 reaction bonus above what you normally would get. This effect costs 2 extra points per 5 points spent in positive levels and cannot apply to negative appearance levels.
- Fashion Sense: The character can gain a +1 reaction bonus above the norm for their appearance level, however the character has to have the time to dress and prepare themselves ahead of time to get the bonus. This effect costs an extra point per 5 points spent in positive levels and cannot apply to negative appearance levels.
- Odious Habits: The character does something (or several somethings) which others find unappealing, this lowers the reaction bonus the character gets by 1. This provides -1 point to the cost of appearance for every 5 points in initial cost. That adds to the total for negative appearance and reduces the cost of positive appearance.
- Childlike: The character looks young and so is treated as a child. People will be more likely to help such a character, but also more likely to ignore their opinion and ideas. This has no net cost.
- Xeno: The characters appearance appeals or repulses other races as well as their own.